EM 241 – Strategic Management in the Era of Big Data Analytics – HYBRID FORMAT
Next offered: TBA
Faculty: Professor of the Practice Partha Ghosh
Strategic Management in the Era of Big Data Analytics is specifically designed for technical professionals who want to gain the knowledge and skills needed to employ analytics to solve business problems, including, but not limited to corporate strategies in high technology firms. The course provides students a framework for defining strategic problems and opportunities and provides tools to transform data into insights and business solutions.
We are excited to offer Strategic Management in the Era of Big Data Analytics as a hybrid course (also referred to as “blended learning”). Of the 13 class sessions, 30% (4 class sessions) are delivered by online instruction, and 70% (9 class sessions) are delivered face-to-face at Tufts University in Medford, MA. The on-campus sessions support in-depth discussion and faculty-student interactions, while the web-based component provides flexibility and reduced commuting time for busy working professionals. See additional details below for the detailed course schedule.
Your key takeaway
You will learn how to directly or indirectly influence operational and strategic decisions of an organization through data and analytics driven insights.
What you will learn
As a student in Strategic Management in the Era of Big Data Analytics you will:
Become familiar with the emerging environment in an era of “big data”
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of how “big data and analytics” shape decision making in a rapidly changing business environment
- Become familiar with the essential conditions that will determine how organizations can secure a competitive advantage and economic gains in this emerging environment
- Examine how analytics help organizations make sharper decisions at both the operational and strategic levels
Learn how to leverage the power of analytics in structuring and making choices
- Understand how the analytical capability of an organization is a significant strategic asset
- Recognize the dynamics of data, information, analytics and insights
- Apply techniques of problem definition; structuring issues/hypotheses; organizing information; developing insights; and building the logic and structured reasoning of decision making
Apply ways to reconfigure strategy, operations and organizations
- Examine how analytics work in business systems and across different levels of decision making in various industries
- Conduct practical strategic and operational exercises through use of simulation, optimization and options models
- Explore ways to get started on Monday morning: how to be more influential based on analytical rigor and a data driven culture
When and where the course is scheduled
Location: Tufts University, Medford, MA & online
This is a hybrid course that uses both classroom and online asynchronous instruction to deliver the content. Students will meet face-to-face for 70% of the total classes (9, 3-hour in-class sessions), while the remaining work will be completed online during students’ own time via the Tufts online learning system, Trunk. Students will be expected to contribute to and complete scheduled online discussions and assignments as part of the online learning.
Tuition for the 2016-2017 Academic Year: $4,990 per 1 credit course. Purchase of books and other required course materials are the responsibility of the student. Payment is due with course registration. You can pay by VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or check (payable to Trustees of Tufts College). Additional details on tuition and registration.