EM 252 – Business Communications
Next offered: Fall 2017
What it is
Students will learn the principles of effective written and oral communication and how to apply those principles for different audiences in the technology field. Topics include making conscious communications decisions, principles of effective written and oral communication, and different workplace audiences. Consideration is given to the practical, philosophical and ethical context of communication for high-tech leaders in the modern globalized business world.
Your key takeaway
You will learn to make conscious communications decisions and will develop the habit of good communication for success in the science and technology sectors. You will gain an understanding of the importance of communication in relation to professional responsibility, risk management, and career development. You will also improve your skills in critical thinking, reading for precise meaning, and careful listening.
How it works
Classes will be in the format of lectures, class discussions, and group exercises that allow you to enhance your communication practices and obtain better results from both day-to-day and formal communications.
What you will learn
Students in the course will learn to:
- Communicate with impact by focusing on the purpose and audience, defining the scope of communication, and using effective language
- Structure science and technology presentations for maximum impact from diverse audiences
- Speak effectively about a technical topic by engaging the audience, projecting with energy and a positive image
- Understand the importance of interpersonal relationships, effective dialog, and non-verbal queues
- Appreciate and address the challenges of cross-cultural communications in a high-tech workplace
When and where the course is scheduled
Location: Tufts University, Medford, MA
200 Boston Ave.
Tuition for the 2017-2018 Academic Year: $2,526 per ½ credit course. Purchase of books and other required course materials are the responsibility of the student. Payment is due with course registration. You can pay by VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or check (payable to Trustees of Tufts College). Additional details on tuition and registration.