EM 261 – Leadership for Technical Professionals
Next offered: TBA
Lecturer: Ewa Winston
What it is
Leadership for Technical Professionals is a deeply transformational course that teaches technical, data-oriented minds to expand their skills and impact as leaders. The curriculum of this graduate-level management course maps directly to the pragmatic requirements of leaders in the technology universe, taking into consideration the distinctive environment, challenges, and types of people that engineering and high-tech leaders must manage.
Your key takeaway
In Leadership for Technical Professionals, you will develop greater awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses as a leader and the personal and professional capability to drive institutional vision and change—and to motivate others to embrace those efforts.
How it works
What sets Leadership for Technical Professionals apart is a powerful teaching methodology designed to accelerate your development of key interpersonal competencies—skills that you must master to lead effectively. The course begins with an assessment of your leadership skills through a 360-degree BENCHMARKS® evaluation, an online feedback tool that provides students with anonymous feedback from peers, direct reports, and superiors. You then develop individual objectives with the guidance of a Tufts professor, who coaches you as you work toward your goals. In the classroom, you will be introduced to the concepts of leadership, management, and teamwork, and you will apply those lessons to real-world focused projects and assignments.
What you will learn
As a student in Leadership for Technical Professionals, you will develop the skills and the confidence to lead change in your professional—and personal—life through the following capabilities:
- Achieve a greater level of self-awareness around your own leadership style
- Recognize and evaluate key leadership traits in yourself and others
- Boost your effectiveness in one-on-one communications
- Understand temperament preferences and their impact on team dynamics
- Create and execute a leadership development plan based on your 360-degree feedback
- Motivate key partners with strategic communication techniques like storytelling
- Enhance group decision-making processes
- Recognize team dysfunction and how to intervene
- Develop a global perspective and techniques for working across cultures
- Command situations and create allies without formal authority
- Use systems thinking as a multidimensional tool and methodology for solving chronic issues
- Inspire innovation and fresh thinking in those around you
- Understand the best practices for creating organizational change
- Create a vision, communicate that vision, and inspire buy-in from stakeholders
- Learn how to overcome resistance to change
When and where the course is scheduled
Location: Tufts University, Medford, MA
200 Boston Ave., Room 4745
Tuition for the 2017-2018 Academic Year: $5,052 per course. Purchase of books and other required course materials are the responsibility of the student. Payment is due with course registration. You can pay by VISA, Mastercard, Discover, or check (payable to Trustees of Tufts College). Additional details on tuition and registration.