The Tufts Ideas Competition, sponsored by the Michael A. Yaffa, A68 Prize Fund
Launched in 2014, we are delighted by the success of the Tufts Ideas Competition, which provides early-stage startups with mentorship, funding, and the support needed to catalyze their ideas and serve as a feeder for the $100k New Ventures Competition.
Winners will receive a cash prize, mentorship and invitations to attend a robust series of workshops covering topics such as start-up legal considerations, funding and creating an effective pitch. Open to Tufts students, faculty and staff, the competition provides individuals with validation and support for a business idea.
- Submission Deadline: Check back in Fall 2020 for next year's Ideas Competition!
Eligibility for Tufts Ideas Competition
Applicants to the Tufts Ideas Competition must have actively participating executive members in major roles who are one, or more, of the following:
- Matriculated Tufts University undergraduate student
- Matriculated Tufts University graduate student
- Tufts Postdoc, Research Fellow or Resident
- Matriculated student at Tufts partnership school (School of the Museum of Fine Arts or New England Conservatory)
- Tufts University faculty
- Current Tufts researcher
- Full-time Tufts University staff
Note: You can enter the Tufts Ideas Competition multiple times. You can also enter both the Ideas Competition and the Tufts $100k New Ventures Competition–in fact, it’s encouraged!
SAMPLE APPLICATION: Tufts Ideas Competition
Name of idea: __________
Website (optional): __________
Tweet-able description of your idea:______________
With what industry does your venture most closely align? (Select one.)
• Social Impact
• Medical Devices & Life Science
• General Technology
Additional industry details (Select all that apply.)
• Energy / Clean Tech: General; Efficiency; Generation; Storage and/or Transmission
• General: Aerospace; Design; Entertainment & Media; Food, Beverages & Restaurants; Manufacturing; Materials; Other - Services; Retail and/or Transportation & Logistics
• Healthcare/ Life Sciences: General; Diagnostics; Healthcare; Healthcare Delivery; Marine Technology; Medical Devices; Therapeutics (Pharma); Veterinary; Dental and/or Nutrition
• High Tech: General; Enterprise Software; Gaming & Consumer; Hardware & Robotics; Internet & Web and/or Telecommunications & Mobile
• Social Impact: General; Education; Environment; Peace & Human Rights and/or Public Health
Please describe the market opportunity or problem you are solving. (50 words)
Describe your solution. (50 words)
What is the "big idea" involved in this solution? That is, what change will result when your idea becomes a reality? (market change, technology change, business models, etc.)
Video (optional): Use a video to tell us what’s compelling about your idea and how it is going to make a difference. Please keep the video less than 2 minutes. We are interested in the content of the video, not the production value. Your cell phone is fine for recording purposes.
How long have you been working on this idea?
• 0-3 months
• 4-6 months
• 6-12 months
• 1 year +
Are you for profit or non-profit?
• For profit
If you're a for-profit company, how do you plan to make money? If you're a non-profit, what's your funding model? (50 words)
Approximately how big is the market you're targeting in terms of customers? Are there any competitors? (100 words)
What is innovative about this approach? (150 words)
What are the key risk factors to the business as you explore this opportunity? (100 words)
Is there anything else you would like to tell us in support of the application that might help the judges? (150 words)
Graphic/photo upload: If you have a graphic or photo that helps to illustrate your business, please include it. (up to 10 MB)