The Tufts Ideas Competition is designed for early stage business ideas. Winners will receive a cash prize, mentorship and invitations to attend a robust series of workshops covering topics such as start-up legal considerations, funding and creating an effective pitch. Open to Tufts students, faculty and staff, the competition provides individuals with validation and support for a business idea.
Applicants to the Tufts Ideas Competition must have actively participating executive members in major roles who are one, or more, of the following:
Note: You can enter the Tufts Ideas Competition multiple times. You can also enter both the Ideas Competition and the Tufts $100k New Ventures Competition–in fact, it’s encouraged!
Name of idea: __________
Website (optional): __________
Tweet-able description of your idea:______________
With what industry does your venture most closely align? (Select one.)
• Social Impact
• Medical Devices & Life Science
• General Technology
Additional industry details (Select all that apply.)
• Energy / Clean Tech: General; Efficiency; Generation; Storage and/or Transmission
• General: Aerospace; Design; Entertainment & Media; Food, Beverages & Restaurants; Manufacturing; Materials; Other - Services; Retail and/or Transportation & Logistics
• Healthcare/ Life Sciences: General; Diagnostics; Healthcare; Healthcare Delivery; Marine Technology; Medical Devices; Therapeutics (Pharma); Veterinary; Dental and/or Nutrition
• High Tech: General; Enterprise Software; Gaming & Consumer; Hardware & Robotics; Internet & Web and/or Telecommunications & Mobile
• Social Impact: General; Education; Environment; Peace & Human Rights and/or Public Health
Please describe the market opportunity or problem you are solving. (50 words)
Describe your solution. (50 words)
What is the "big idea" involved in this solution? That is, what change will result when your idea becomes a reality? (market change, technology change, business models, etc.)
Video (optional): Use a video to tell us what’s compelling about your idea and how it is going to make a difference. Please keep the video less than 2 minutes. We are interested in the content of the video, not the production value. Your cell phone is fine for recording purposes.
How long have you been working on this idea?
• 0-3 months
• 4-6 months
• 6-12 months
• 1 year +
Are you for profit or non-profit?
• For profit
If you're a for-profit company, how do you plan to make money? If you're a non-profit, what's your funding model? (50 words)
Approximately how big is the market you're targeting in terms of customers? Are there any competitors? (100 words)
What is innovative about this approach? (150 words)
What are the key risk factors to the business as you explore this opportunity? (100 words)
Is there anything else you would like to tell us in support of the application that might help the judges? (150 words)
Graphic/photo upload: If you have a graphic or photo that helps to illustrate your business, please include it. (up to 10 MB)