$100k New Ventures Competition
This annual competition draws entries from alumni, faculty, staff, undergraduate students, and graduate students from all ten schools across the university. Teams compete for prizes and in-kind services totaling more than $100,000 in three tracks:
- General Technology Track
- Social Impact Track
- Medical Devices & Life Science Track
- Submission Deadline: Applications will be accepted from December 1, 2019 through January 25, 2020.
- Semi-Finalist Teams Announced: February 15, 2020
- Semi-Finals: March 6, 2020
- Live Finals: April 3, 2020
Attend an info session to learn more about the Tufts $100k New Ventures Competition, the application process and what to expect as a participant. Pizza will be provided!
Info sessions will be held on the following days:
- Wednesday, January 15th: 12PM-1PM in the Venture Lab, CLIC Building, 574 Boston Ave, Medford, MA
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should enter the General Technology Track?
New ventures or businesses geared towards creating value in the private high-technology or other sectors not classified as Life Sciences or Social Entrepreneurship.
Who should enter the Social Impact Track?
Businesses with a mission to create and sustain social value. Businesses that benefit society and promote active citizenship. A significant part of the venture is dedicated to one or more of the following: creating a positive social impact, improving living conditions, upward economics or social mobility, or environmental impact. Social Ventures can be not-for-profit, for-profit or hybrid.
Who should enter the Medical Devices & Life Science Track?
Businesses with a focus on medical, health, and wellness topics. This includes Dental, Veterinary, Biomedical, and Nutrition-focused businesses.
How do I enter the competition?
Complete and submit the application before the deadline.
If you have questions, please contact Carol Denning, Program Administrator, Tufts Entrepreneurship Center.
Eligibility for the Tufts $100k New Ventures Competition
Applicants to the Tufts $100k New Ventures Competition must have actively participating executive or founding team members in major roles who are one, or more, of the following:
- Matriculated Tufts University undergraduate student
- Matriculated Tufts University graduate student
- Full-time Tufts University Postdoc, Research Fellow or Resident
- Tufts University faculty
- Full-time Tufts University staff
- Current Tufts researcher
- Tufts University recently graduated alumnus (must have graduated from Tufts University within the last 5 years)
Non-Tufts team members: Non-Tufts team members may be part of the venture’s management team and may participate in planning the venture. However, the Tufts team member(s) are expected to:
- Have an ongoing active role in the day-to-day operations of the venture
- Be the driving force behind the venture
- Hold an executive role in the founding management team of the venture
- Ownership in the aggregate of a minimum of 15% of the equity in the venture
Applicants are only allowed to move into the final $100k Competition on 1 team. Applicants can be on multiple teams up to the semi-final stage, but can only move into the finals on 1 team. Additional details on eligibility can be found here.
How do I claim my prize?
Winners should contact Tufts Entrepreneurship Center to claim their prize. Winners must claim their prize within 6 months of the competition. If a team is unable to collect within 6 months of the competition, a formal request for an extension must be approved. Approval will be on a case by case basis. Prize money can only be awarded to legal, for-profit entities and are not payable to an individual or sole proprietorship. Prize money is for startup and operating costs and cannot be used for personal expenses.